The APC Safety Committee met at the APC Offices last week with representatives from PennDOT and the PA Turnpike Commission in attendance. Approximately 20 members of the committee, along with a dozen virtually, were on hand to discuss several topics of concern facing the industry. The committee plans to meet the first week of August, and details will be posted once a date is selected.
Some of the issues/topics discussed were:
- Update on legislation to reauthorize the AWZSE Law;
- Timeline of new Work Zone Traffic Control Training Program;
- Contractor’s willingness to require Class 3 vests/apparel for all contractor flagging operations (PennDOT currently requires this for its employees);
- Ongoing problems with railroad right-of-entry agreements – asked APC’s Risk Allocation Committee to re-explore this issue with PennDOT;
- Contractor use of technology for tracking internal safety, accident, and injury data;
- Lane Reservation System rollout/update. PennDOT plans to roll this out in 2024 and will have a featured presentation at the 2023 Fall Seminar;
- Uses of technology for virtual queue protection and work vehicle AVL/Smart Arrow Boards;
- Teen Drive Work Zone curriculum – PA Turnpike initiative and looking to have contractor participation.
If you would like to be a part of the Safety Committee, please contact Jason Wagner to be added to the committee.