Governor Tom Wolf signed an executive order on Friday, March 12 establishing the Transportation Revenue Options Commission, a group tasked with developing funding solutions for Pennsylvania’s aging transportation system, while working toward the governor’s goal of phasing out the state’s gas tax.
APC’s Executive Vice President Bob Latham as well as APC members Mike Glezer of Wagman, Brock Myers of Alan Myers, and Andrew Swank of Swank Construction were among those selected to join the Commission.
With PennDOT’s most recent annual gap needs assessment for all modes totaling $9.3 billion and expanding to $14.5 billion by 2030, this is a critical issue that APC has focused on and continues to offer solutions for through its advocacy efforts.
APC’s Bob Latham issued the following statement on the newly established commission:
“The transportation construction industry welcomes this initiative, and we look forward to working with the other stakeholders to develop solutions that will address Pennsylvania’s transportation funding needs. Transportation is an essential ingredient for economic recovery and growth, and the Commonwealth’s needs are substantial.
“Additionally, Pennsylvania will soon receive federal funds as part of President Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package. We have an opportunity to invest in improving our transportation infrastructure, which would create thousands of family-sustaining jobs in the short term, and fuel our prosperity and improve our quality of life in the long term.
“Pennsylvania has the second-highest fuel taxes in the country because we have been diverting the equivalent of 12 cents per gallon for State Police operations. We now have the potential to solve this problem without raising taxes, and we can once again use the fuel tax revenue for its intended purpose.”
The Transportation Revenue Options Commission is comprised of transportation, economic, and community stakeholders from both the public and private sectors, including majority and minority leaders from the House and Senate Transportation and Appropriations committees. PennDOT Secretary Yassmin Gramian will serve as commission chair.
The following is the full list of individuals invited to join the commission:
- Rep. Stan Saylor, Chair, House Appropriations Committee;
- Rep. Matthew Bradford, Minority Chair, House Appropriations Committee;
- Sen. Pat Browne, Chair, Senate Appropriations Committee;
- Sen. Vincent Hughes, Minority Chair, Senate Appropriations Committee;
- Sen. Wayne Langerholc, Chair, Senate Transportation Committee;
- Sen. John Sabatina, Minority Chair, Senate Transportation Committee;
- Rep. Tim Hennessey, Chair, House Transportation Committee;
- Rep. Mike Carroll, Minority Chair, House Transportation Committee;
- Gene Barr, Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry;
- Carl Belke, Keystone State Railroad Association (KSRRA);
- Becky Bradley, Lehigh Valley Planning Commission;
- Sarah Clark Stuart, Pennsylvania Pedalcycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee;
- Howard Cohen, Temple University, Public-Private Transportation Partnerships Board;
- Mark Compton, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission;
- Patricia Cowley, Pennsylvania Bus Association;
- Secretary Dennis Davin, Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development;
- Ronald Drnevich, State Transportation Commission;
- Secretary Cindy Dunn, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources;
- Colonel Robert Evanchick, Pennsylvania State Police;
- Rich Fitzgerald; Allegheny County Executive;
- James Harper Jr., Laborers’ International Union of North America;
- Katherine Kelleman, Port Authority of Allegheny County;
- Amy Kessler, North Central Pennsylvania Regional Planning and Development Commission;
- James Kunz, International Union of Operating Engineers;
- Mike Glezer, Wagman;
- Jeffrey L. Iseman, Pennsylvania Statewide Independent Living Council;
- Robert Latham, Associated Pennsylvania Constructors;
- Brock Myers, Alan Myers;
- Secretary Patrick McDonnell, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection;
- Rebecca Oyler, Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association;
- Secretary Russell Redding, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture;
- Leslie Richards, Southeastern Public Transit Authority;
- Shawna Russell, Pennsylvania Public Transportation Association;
- Dave Sanko, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors;
- Bob Shaffer, Aviation Advisory Committee;
- Leeann Sherman, American Council of Engineering Companies of Pennsylvania;
- Karl Singleton, Pennsylvania Diversity Coalition;
- Secretary Jen Swails, Office of Budget;
- Andrew Swank, Swank Construction;
- Jerry Sweeney, Southeast Partnership for Mobility;
- Secretary Robert Torres, Pennsylvania Department of Aging; and,
- George Wolff, Keystone Transportation Funding Coalition.